Colonel Arthur Wyndham
Arthur Wyndham was born 19 April 1813 and baptized 18 Aug 1813 at St George's Chapel, Bradden, Isle of Man.  He was the
son of the Honourable William Frederick Wyndham and his wife Julia.  Arthur’s older brother was George Francis Wyndham,
was to become the Fourth Earl of Egremont.

Arthur received a classical and mathematical education under the Rev. Dr. R.Valpy of Reading.  He was nominated as a Cadet
for the East India Company's Addiscombe, season 1829/30, by EIC Director Henry Alexander at the recommendation of Sir
George O'Brien Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egremont.  Arthur passed the Military Committee at East India House, London, 5
November 1830 and entered the EIC Military Seminary at Addiscombe on 12 November 1830.

Arthur passed the public examinations at Addiscombe on 14 June 1832, and was allocated to the Madras Infantry.  He
embarked for India on the 'Wellington' on 18 August 1832.

[India Office Records: L/MIL/9/176 ff.356-61 Cadet Papers; L/MTLI/9/334 Addiscombe Cadets 1819-36]

Arthur Wyndham was commissioned as an Ensign on 14 June 1832.  He arrived at Madras, India on 5 January 1833 and was
ordered to do duty with the 18th Madras Native Infantry on 15 January 1833.  Granted leave to visit the Nilgiri Hills from
30 January to 30 May, 1833.  He was ordered to do duty with the 48th MNI on 15 January 1833 with successive postings to
the 9th MNI, the 27th MNI and finally the 4th MNI on 18 July 1834.  Ensign Wyndham served in the Coorg Campaign of
1834, an action for which no medals were sanctioned.

Posted to 2nd Madras NI as Second Ensign 27 Oct 1834.  He was granted leave to Madras from 10 November 1834 to 10
January 1835.  Arthur was promoted Lieutenant on 9 January 1836 and appointed Acting Deputy Assistant Quarter Master
General in the Ceded Districts on 14 Sep 1838.  He was granted leave to Jaulnah and Aurungabad from 20 June to 20
November 1839.
Lieutenant Wyndham was appointed Adjutant, 7th Infantry Hyderabad Contingent, 21 November 1839. He returned to the
2nd Madras Native Infantry for employment on foreign service on 25 February 1842 to served in the expedition to China in
1842 (the First China War).  Lieutenant Wyndham was present at the capture of Woosung on 16 June and China Keangfoo on
21 July 1842.  The 2nd MNI was in garrison at Chusan and Koolingsoo till the end of 1844.

Arthur Wyndham was awarded the China 1842 medal officially impressed to him as A. Wyndham, Lieut. 2nd Madras Nat.
Infantry.  As was common, Lieutenant Wyndham had an unofficial replacement suspender attached to his medal.  He also had
an ornate suspension with bar “China” made, but not attached to the medal.  It appears to have been made only for display

Arthur Wyndham was permitted to proceed to India on sick certificate on 24 January 1845.  He resumed his appointment
in the Hyderabad Contingent as Adjutant, 4th Infantry as of 11 February 1845.  Promoted to Captain 31 May 1846.

Captain Wyndham served with the Ellichpoore Brigade under Major Onslow against insurgent Rohillas in the service of the
pretender Appa Saib in 1847-47. He commanded a Field Force in Berar for six months during disturbances at and about

Captain Wyndham commanded the 4th Infantry Hyderabad Contingent in two campaigns against insurgent Rohillas in
Telingeur in 1853-54.  He was appointed Commandant of the 4th Infantry Hyderabad Contingent effective 27 January
1854, a post he held for the rest of his military career.

Captain Wyndham was order to assume command of the Northern Division of the Hyderabad Contingent on 6 February
1855.  Granted furlough to the UK for 18 months from 30 March 1855.

During the Indian Mutiny Captain Wyndham in command of the Northern Division of the Hyderabad Contingent cooperated
with the Bombay and Madras Moveable Columns acting against Shorapoor, Copul and Southern Mahratta country. He
defeated a night attack of between 10-12,000 Rohillas and Baydars near Shorapoor and was present at the capture of
Shorapoor on 8 February 1858.  Col. Malleson in his
History of the Indian Mutiny, discusses the situation at Shorapoor as

Shorapur is a small territory situated in the south-west angle of the Nizan’s dominions…Full intelligence of the doings of
the raja was quickly conveyed to Major Davidson…Acting in concert with Lord Elphinstone,…he called up from the Bombay
Presidency a force under Lieutenant Colonel Malcolm…At the same time he arranged that a force from the Madras
Presidency, under Major Hughes, should watch the eastern frontier of Shorapur, whilst he detached four hundred men
and two guns of the Haidarabad contingent
commanded by Captain Wyndham, to occupy Linsugur, ready to act in concert
with either of the other forces, as necessity might require....…

Captain Campbell proceeded to Linsurgur and ordered
Wyndham to march on Shorapur.  Wyndham started at once and
reached Shorapur on the 7th of February.  As he approached, the raja, as is customary in such cases, sent his own
servants to indicate a proper encamping-ground.  The servants led
Wyndham to the place selected- a narrow valley,
surrounded by lofty hills and rocks.  But
Wyndham, though but a Captain, was too old a soldier to fall into a trap.  He
moved on to an open plain, where he was comparatively safe from danger of surprise.

That night
Wyndham was attacked by a force comprised of the clansman of the raja, Arabs and Rohillas, estimated at
from five thousand to seven thousand strong.  The attack continued all night, but its result was never doubtful.  
aided by Rose Campbell and the medical officer, Dr. Williamson, barricaded the position and with the guns kept up a
continuous fire.  At 1 o’clock in the morning he was reinforced by one hundred of the Haidarabad contingent.  The rebels
ceased their attack, and occupied the heights near the town.

Meanwhile, expresses had been sent to Major Hughes and Colonel Malcolm.  Major Hughes, with two companies 74th
Highlanders and some Madras Cavalry, arrived first, early on the morning of the 8th.  Joining his troops to those of
Wyndham, Hughes at once attacked the rebels.  A squadron of the 8th Madras Cavalry, commanded by Captain
Newberry, led the attack, to charge a body of Rohillas.  Unfortunately, Newberry and his subaltern, Lieutenant Stewart,
better mounted than men, dashed into the middle of the rebels before their men could follow them.  Newberry was
killed and Stewart was severely wounded.  The enemy, however, were driven from the heights above the town.

For his services during the Indian Mutiny, Captain Wyndham received the medal for the Indian Mutiny without clasp.  
The medal is officially impressed to Capt. A. Wyndham, 4th Infy. Hd. Cont.  Wyndham’s China medal, along with the
unofficial display suspension, and his Indian Mutiny medal are contained in a custom fitted velvet lined glazed display case,
along with the appropriate miniature medals.  The medals are in mint condition and appear to have never have been worn.

Arthur Wyndham was promoted Major on 24 October 1858.  He was appointed to the Madras Staff Corps on 18 February
1861 and promoted on Lieutenant-Colonel 18 February 1863.  He was made a Colonel on 18 February 1866.

It is interesting to note that during much of his service in India, Colonel Wyndham was under the control of and served
Indian potentates, most notable being the Nizam of Hyderabad.  He was an officer of the East India Company and had that
organization’s approval and protection, but dealt directly with local Indian rulers.

Colonel Wyndham was authorized to reside in the UK from 3 April 1871. He was admitted to Colonel's Allowances on 18
February 1873.

Colonel Arthur Wyndham, late Madras Staff Corps and Commandant 4th Infantry Hyderabad Contingent, died 29 March
1874 at the age of 63.

[India Office Records: L/MTL/l1/44 p.387 & no. 208 in L/MTL/l1/59,60 & 61 Madras Service Army Lists; L/MTL/11/75 no.
186 Madras Services; L/MTL/5/67 China Medal Roll; L/MIL/5/94 Mutiny Medal Rolls; published Madras Army List]
Madras Army